I went to the grocery store tonight with a friend and we talked about rotten potatoes. Let's face it, the bags of potatoes we buy in the grocery store do not last long, so you have to use them up fast, but not wear your family out on them either. So I started thinking of how many ways one could make potatoes in order to use them up before they rot (very wasteful), but not make your crew sick of mashed potatoes (as if ANYONE could get sick of mashed potatoes).
1) mashed potatoes: I make mine with salt, pepper, milk, sour cream
2) potato cakes: take 2 cups leftover mashed potatoes and add 1 cup flour, 2 eggs, 1tsp baking powder, 1 tsp salt, 1tsp sugar, about 1/2 cup milk or buttermilk (to pancake mix consistency), cook just like small pancakes in hot cast iron pan with a little oil, drain well, serve smeared with a little butter
3) au gratin: sliced potatoes, bechamel (roux, whole milk, salt, pepper, nutmeg)
4) cheesy: sliced potatoes, bechamel, shredded cheddar
5) home fries: sliced potatoes, diced onion, pressed garlic, diced peppers, oil, salt, pepper, hot cast iron pan
6) baked potato
7) twice baked potato (cheesy style for me)
8) homemade french fries
9) roasted with salt, pepper, butter, rosemary
10) hash browns
12) homemade potato chips
13) potato bread
Can you think of more?