Monday, June 15, 2009

Sweetened Condensed Milk

I had to make Key Lime Pie today for supervisor lunch and I thought I had a can of sweetened condensed milk, but I was wrong. So, I went searching for a good substitute and this is what I found:

The best make-your-own version is to mix 1 cup of evaporated milk
with 1-1/4 cups of sugar in a saucepan, heat and stir until the sugar is
completely dissolved, and let cool. If you don't have evaporated milk on
hand either, you can make your own by slowly simmering any quantity
of milk in a pan until it reduced by 60%, and then adding the sugar.
This was easy and it worked really well - plus the evaporated milk is about 1/2 the price of the sweetened condensed per can.


*****let it steam for a little while so it can thicken - -about 10 minutes********

No comments: