Thursday, June 18, 2009

Stockpiling

This is a newer thought for me, and I mean stockpiling as being a more intense effort than 'stocking up'. Our economy is not better than it was just 6 months ago, and I have been thinking that it may be wise of me to create a stockpile in case of even more difficult times, especially since we are a single income family.

Creating a stockpile does not need to take up a ton of space nor a big investment. For our family, I plan to dedicate just $5 a week to creating our stockpile. I plan on placing the items in different places around the house, like in the back of closets or in other storage areas where the items will #1 be out of the way, and #2 not be used just as routine items. I also will list them items (like a log or an inventory) of where the items are, what they are, how many and the expiration date (so I can rotate items out seasonally and nothing goes bad).

As a side note, does anyone know how I can post any of my listing/recording keeping documents to share - I can't figure it out.

2 comments:

slk2042 said...

I have been stockpiling for a few months now. My freezer is packed full, and my pantry door will barely close.
I found out yesterday there is a family at my church who had NO food, literally NOTHING in their cabinets. This is a family with three young children!
I went home and felt so ashamed of my grocery stash. Sure, we work hard, and are not rich by any stretch of the imagination, but we are not going hungry!
I got out the biggest box I could find, and filled it to the brim with extra food I had. If I had more than one box/can/jar of anything, I gave them one or two. My freezer and pantry are much more manageable now, and I can actually see what I have!
Sharing with others is a side-blessing of stockpiling. Sometimes we are blessed for the sole purpose of helping others.

Amy said...

Not only were you able to do it - you were happy to do it, and that is a wonderful thing. God wants us to take care of others with a joyful heart, which is what you had :)