Saturday, June 13, 2009

Homemade Mayonnaise

Yesterday we were going through a few things we would need at the grocery store and hubby mentioned we were out of mayo. I wrote it down on the list, but then remembered I had a recipe to make my own!

So, I decided to whip up a batch to save a few dollars! Plus, I love knowing exactly what is in my food!

Here is the recipe:

Homemade Mayonnaise (Yield: 2 cups)

1 egg
1 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
1 teaspoon ground mustard
1/2 teaspoon paprika (I omitted this)
3 Tbs vinegar or lemon juice
1 1/2 cups vegetable oil (I used canola)

Put egg, salt, sugar, mustard, paprika & vinegar in blender. Cover & blend for a few seconds. With blender still running, add the oil very slowly. Blend until thick and smooth.

Note: you can substitute pasteurized egg substitute for raw egg for pregnant women or elderly persons.

Personal notes: This recipe turned out really well. It was a little tangy, so I think I'll play around with the vinegar and sugar. Next time I will use 2 tablespoons vinegar and add an extra teaspoon of sugar.

Hubby is pretty specific about his mayo and how his food tastes and he approved this, so it was success. No more buying mayo for me!!!


2 comments:

tammyk said...

Ooh, love this! I'm going to tryi it out as soon as we use up our store-bought mayo. I love making things from scratch so that I know what's in it (and what's not!)

Amy said...

I did the homemade mayo this morning, and I did use the paprika and only 2 tbsp of lemon juice, and it was good, but we normally use Hellmann's mayo, and it must be a bit tangier, so next time I will use the 3 tbsp of lemon juice, or maybe use the vinegar instead and probably cut back the paprika to 1/4 tsp and maybe even up the salt to 1 1/2 tsp and try it.

But that's the beauty of homemade - you can adjust to your own tastes and find what you love best! Thank you very much! And by the way - it probably only cost me maybe 75 cent for a pint size jar - right now Hellmann's is going for 4.79 for a 30oz jar, so it is major savings.