My household is going down by 7.5% due to payroll cuts at hubby's job (hey - at least he still has one). So, I need to cut my variable expenses by about 10% to compensate. That doesn't sound like a lot, but when you already are trying to be frugal to keep costs low, an additional 10% can be a real challenge. So that's it - a frugal challenge
10 ways I can cut 10% off my variable expenses:
- turn down the thermostat about 3 degrees
- eat more beans & rice
- negotiate a trade for services (the lady that cuts our hair like my homemade poundcake so instead of money I give her a cake in exchange for haircuts - makes our hair cheap to maintain), I wonder if the man down the road with hens would trade cake or bread for eggs?
- increase my use of the crockpot instead of the oven or range
- do I really need half and half for my coffee or can I get by with milk?
- discover more ways to cook chicken and ground beef since I have a ton of both
- cut out all prepackaged food (I generally keep a few things around in case of emergency so we didn't have to order out - but I guess this emergency means I won't buy any more)
- stay away from the stores - why even bother going if you don't have the moolah to spend
- more pb&j for lunch and less grilled cheese
- try to go meatless 2 days a week instead of 1
I welcome other ideas. I already make homemade bread, pancakes, waffles, sauces, etc. I also use my clothesline and make homemade laundry soap and my own household cleaners.
What's a mommy to do?